Friday, January 15, 2010

The Chiffons

The Chiffons was an all girl group originating from the Bronx area of New York in 1960.

The Chiffons’ sassy flair made them one of the top Girl Groups of the early ’60s. With their trademark tight harmonies, high-stepping confidence and the hit machine of Goffin and King writing songs such as “One Fine Day,” the Chiffons made music that helped define the Girl Group sound of the era.

The group was originally a trio comprising Judy Craig (lead singer), Patricia Bennett and Barbara Lee. They formed at James Monroe High School in The BronxSylvia Peterson was added to the group in 1962. Peterson had previously sung with Little Jimmy & The Tops in 1959 when she was fourteen years old. This group had a local hit with "Puppy Love" (V-Tone). Sylvia shared the lead with Jimmy on the single's B-Side, "Say You Love Me". Peterson would later lend her leads to Chiffons' "Why Am I So Shy", "Strange, Strange Feeling", "The Real Thing" and the pseudonym sides as The Four Pennies, "My Block" and "When The Boy's Happy". in 1960. At the suggestion of songwriter Ronnie Mack,

Another group from California also used the name "Chiffons" and recorded three singles, including a version of the Shirelles' "Tonight's The Night". According to Craig and Bennett, the New York Chiffons have no connection to the other group.

The group hit the number one spot in the United States with their first single "He's So Fine", written by Ronnie Mack, and released on Laurie. George Harrison's 1970 song "My Sweet Lord" was musically similar, prompting a copyright infringementplagiarized the earlier song. claim. The Chiffons went on to record "My Sweet Lord" in 1975. A judge later found that Harrison had unintentionally

Their first hit was followed by other notable tunes such as Gerry Goffin and Carole King's "One Fine Day", "Sweet Talkin' Guy" and "I Have A Boyfriend". Their Top 40 single "I Have A Boyfriend" was playing on Dallas station KLIF on November 22, 1963 and was interrupted by the first radio bulletins of the JFK assassination. The group also released two singles in 1963 as The Four Pennies on the Laurie subsidiary, Rust Label.

Craig left the Chiffons in 1968 and they continued as a trio. In 1992, Lee died from a heart attack the day before her 45th birthday, and Craig returned to the group. Peterson retired shortly thereafter and was replaced by Connie Harvey. Harvey has since left to pursue a solo career and Bennett has retired from the group.

Currently as of 2009, Judy Craig performs as The Chiffons with her daughter and her niece, appearing at select shows throughout the U.S. and Internationally.

Discography as the Four Pennies singles

  • 1963 "My Block" (US #67)
  • 1963 "When the Boy's Happy" (US #95)
Discography as the Chiffons standard albums
  • 1963: He's So Fine (US #97)
  1. "He's So Fine"
  2. "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"
  3. "Oh My Lover"
  4. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love"
  5. "My Block"
  6. "ABC-123"
  7. "Lucky Me"
  8. "Why Am I So Shy"
  9. "See You in September"
  10. "Wishing"
  11. "Mystic Voice"
  12. "When I Go to Sleep at Night"
  • 1963: One Fine Day
  1. "One Fine Day"
  2. " It's My Party"
  3. "The Loco-Motion"
  4. "Tonight I Met an Angel"
  5. "Only My Friend"
  6. "Da Doo Ron Ron"
  7. "I Wonder Why"
  8. "Foolish Little Girl"
  9. "I'm Going to Dry My Eyes"
  10. "Did You Ever Go Steady"
  11. "When Summer's Through"
  12. "Love Is Like a Merry Go Round"
  13. "My Boyfriend's Back," a cover of The Angels' hit (also covered by Martha and the Vandellas)
  • 1966: Sweet Talkin' Guy (US #149)
  1. "Sweet Talkin' Guy"
  2. "Up On the Bridge"
  3. "Nobody Knows What's Going On"
  4. "Thumbs Down"
  5. "Just a Boy"
  6. "Down Down Down"
  7. "Out of This World"
  8. "My Boyfriend's Back"
  9. "Open Your Eyes"
  10. "March"
  11. "Keep the Boy Happy"
  12. "See You in September"
  • 1970: My Secret Love
  1. "Secret Love"
  2. "You're The Love Of A Lifetime"
  3. "Soul"
  4. "I Don't Deserve A Boy Like You"
  5. "Strange Strange Feeling"
  6. "Now That You're My Baby"
  7. "The First And Last"
  8. "Remember Me Baby"
  9. "It Hurts To Be Sixteen"
  10. "Every Boy And Every Girl"
Discography as the Chiffons compilation albums
  • 1974: Everything You Always Wanted to Hear by the Chiffons but Couldn't Get
  • 1979: The Chiffons Sing the Hits of the 50's & 60's
  • 2004: Absolutely The Best!
Discography as the Chiffons singles
  • 1963: "He's So Fine"/"Oh My Lover" (US #1, UK #16)
  • 1963: "Lucky Me"/"Why Am I So Shy"
  • 1963: "One Fine Day"/"Why Am I So Shy" (US #5, UK #29)
  • 1963: "A Love So Fine"/"Only My Friend" (US #40)
  • 1963: "I Have a Boyfriend"/"I'm Gonna Dry My Eyes" (US #36)
  • 1964: "Sailor Boy"/"When The Summer Is Through" (US #81)
  • 1964: "Easy To Love"/"Tonight I Met An Angel"
  • 1964: "What Am I Gonna Do With You (Hey Baby)"/"Strange, Strange Feeling"
  • 1965: "Nobody Knows What's Goin' On (In My Mind But Me)"/"Did You Ever Go Steady" (US #49)
  • 1965: "Nobody Knows What's Goin' On (In My Mind But Me)"/"The Real Thing"
  • 1965: "Tonight I'm Gonna Dream"/"Heavenly Place"
  • 1966: "Out of This World"/"Just A Boy" (US #67)
  • 1966: "Stop, Look and Listen"/"March" (US #85)
  • 1966: "Sweet Talkin' Guy"/"Did You Ever Go Steady" (US #10, UK #31 (#4 (1972 re-issue))
  • 1966: "My Boyfriend's Back"/"I Got Plenty Of Nuttin'"
  • 1967: "If I Knew Then"/"Keep The Boy Happy"
  • 1968: "Up on the Bridge"/"March"
  • 1968: "Just For Tonight"/"Teach Me How"
  • 1969: "Love Me Like You're Gonna Lose Me"/"Three Dips Of Ice Cream"
  • 1970: "So Much in Love"/"Strange Strange Feeling"
  • 1975: "My Sweet Lord"/"Main Nerve"
  • 1976: "Dream Dream Dream"/"Oh My Love"

No comments:

Post a Comment